Today we are dealing with a rather uncomfortable subject, given that especially in times of crisis like the present it is rather difficult to ask for an extra sacrifice from Italian families. The message we try to get across in these lines is: better not to buy anything than to buy cheap stuff. Let’s see why.

Games, Balls, Other Objects

All games, together with leashes, are to be considered essential objects in the daily life of a dog. To save money on these objects is to put his safety at risk and we are sure that none of you would ever dream of doing so.

Dog toys must always be dog toys. Puppets and other everyday objects for children, which theoretically could also be good for the dog, actually conceal immense dangers. In fact, the dog could detach small parts (such as soft toy eyes) and swallow them voluntarily or not.

In addition to being appropriate for pets, these must be good quality toys. Beware of Asian imitations or products that are identical to the originals but cheap. Tests carried out on games on the market in Europe have nothing to do with their oriental equivalents.

In August 2015, in America, a dog named Maximus died from being stuck with his tongue in a Kong type ball. We would like to stress “like” Kong. It has never been established whether it was an original game or a copy. What is certain is that it was badly constructed. The ball didn’t have a hole at the other end to let air out. Once the dog put his tongue in the hole, it got stuck by the vacuum effect created inside. If you want to read the news click here (Warning: strong images).

Leashes, Collars And Harnesses

Even when it comes to leashes and collars, you have to be careful. Apart from the fact that a good leash can last a dog’s whole life (unless it is lost), buying a bad leash is too big a risk for his safety.

The leash could break in the middle of a busy road, the collar could snap off, and your dog could easily take off his harness and run “naked” in the middle of the road. Why risk it?

Last but not least, the materials they’re made of could trigger allergic reactions, dermatitis and so on.

This is not a particularly frequent occurrence, but the risk of it breaking down should already be enough to convince you never to buy cheap products for your dog. Do we really want to risk his life for a few euros?